Research at WMEL involves a broad range of projects that exhibit excellence in both fundamental and applied areas of wood materials and engineering.
Specific areas of research emphasis include:
- Design and manufacture of wood composite materials
- Performance based design methodologies for wood materials
- Novel building systems
The Composite Materials and Engineering Center is equipped to conduct research ranging from composite materials development to structural testing.
The 28,000-square-foot facility houses equipment for:
- Furnish generation
- Sorting, drying, blending and forming
- Physical and chemical property analyses
- Materials and structural testing
- Nondestructive evaluation
- Computer-based modeling and analysis