Engineering analysis and design of timber structures; deck safety; laboratory testing and analysis of engineering wood components, composite materials, connections, and assemblies; post-frame construction; nondestructive evaluation of wood materials; wood durability; building envelopes.
- Ph.D. – Purdue University, 1984
- M.S. – Virginia Tech University, 1980
- B.S. – Virginia Tech University, 1979
- Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering; and Director, Composite Materials & Engineering Center, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 1997-present
- Interim Dean, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2016-2017
- Interim Dept Head; Professor; Assoc Professor; Asst Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 1984-1997
- Visiting Scientist, USDA Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI, 1991-1992
- Weyerhaeuser Distinguished Professor, WSU, 1997 – present
- Leon Luck Faculty Award, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU, 2007
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award, College of Engineering and Architecture, WSU, 2002
- Six national-level journal article awards from SWST, FPS and ASABE
- Two national-level awards from post-frame building industry
- Design of Timber Structures
- Advanced Wood Engineering
- Broers, M.A. and D.A. Bender. 2021. Span rating of solid-sawn deck boards. Forest Products Journal 71(2):171-176.
- Broers, M.A., D.A. Bender, F.E. Woeste and A.R. Phillips. 2020. Residential floor failure from dynamic occupant loading. ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities 35(4):04021017-1-9.
- Dolan, J.D., A. Wilson, K. Brandt, D.A. Bender and M.P. Wolcott. 2019. Structural design process for estimating cross-laminated timber use factors for buildings. Bioresources 14(3):7247-7265.
- Mai, K.D, D.A. Bender and J.D. Dolan. 2016. Development of seismic design coefficients for steel-clad wood-framed shear walls. Frame Building News 28(3):18-21.
- Parsons, B.J., D.A. Bender, J.D. Dolan and F.E. Woeste. 2014. Deck and porch floor lateral loading by occupants. ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction, 19(3), 04014012.
- Bender, D.A. and F.E. Woeste. 2011. Creep deflection in design of metal plate connected wood trusses. ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction 16(1):10-14.
- Kimble, R.E. and D.A. Bender. 2010. Stability of built-up timber beams and columns – accounting or modulus of elasticity variability. ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction 15(4):272-277.
- Carradine, D.M., D.A. Bender, F.E. Woeste and J.R. Loferski. 2007. Development of design capacities for residential deck ledger connections. Forest Products Journal 57(3):29-33.
- Lebow, S., J. Winandy and D.A Bender. 2004. Treated wood in transition: a look at CCA and the candidates to replace it. Wood Design Focus 14(2):3-8.
- Skaggs, T.D. and D.A. Bender. 1995. Shear deflection of composite wood beams. Wood and Fiber Science 27(3):327-338.
- Hernandez, R., D.A. Bender, B.A. Richburg and K.S. Kline. 1992. Probabilistic modeling of glued laminated timber beams. Wood and Fiber Science 24(3):294-306.
- Bender, D.A., F.E. Woeste, E.L. Schaffer, and C.M. Marx. 1985. Reliability formulation for strength and fire endurance of glued laminated beams. USDA Forest Service Research Paper FPL 460, U.S. Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI. 43 p.