- Mechanics of wood and wood composites; modeling of engineered wood composites; structure and behavior of wood joints; industrial extension/outreach in forest products
- Professor works to develop better building materials – March 16, 2012
- Five-year grant from NSF
- Ph.D. – Civil Engineering, 2002 – Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- M.S. – Wood Mechanics, 1990 – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- B.S. – Forestry and Forest Management, 1986 – Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- 2020-present, Professor, Composite Materials & Engineering Center, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- 2013 – present, Associate Professor, Composite Materials & Engineering Center, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- 2007 – 2013, Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist, Composite Materials & Engineering Center, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- 2003 – 2007, Assistant Research Professor & Extension Specialist, Wood Materials & Engineering Laboratory, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- 1998 – 2002, Graduate Research Assistant, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- 1990 – 1998, Senior Research Assistant; Research Scientist, Forest Products Laboratory, Mississippi State University
- NSF CAREER Grant recipient, 2012-2017
- First Place, Wiley Research Exposition Engineering/Physics Student Research & Presentation, Washington State University, 2001-2002
- Suksdorf Fellowship Award, Washington State University, 2000
- Plywood Pioneers Association Scholarship, 2000 and 2001
- G. B. MacDonald Memorial Senior Leadership Award for Advanced Studies, Iowa State Univ., 1986
- Outstanding Senior Award, Iowa State Univ., 1986
- Mohammadabadi, M., V. Yadama, L. Yao, D. Bhattacharyya. 2018. Low-velocity impact response of wood-strand sandwich panels and their components. Holzforschung, 72(8):681-689.
- Mohammadabadi, M., V. Yadama, and J. Geng. 2018. Creep behavior of 3D core wood-strand sandwich panels. Holzforschung, 72(6):513-519.
- Zhu, R., V. Yadama. 2018. Isolation and characterization of cellulose micro/nanofibrils from Douglas Fir. Journal of Polymers and the Environment, 26(3):1012-1023.
- Zhu, R., and V. Yadama. 2017. Isolation and Characterization of Cellulose Micro/Nanofibrils from Douglas Fir. Journal of Polymers and the Environment. DOI:10.1007/s10924-017-1013-6
- Zhu, R., V. Yadama, Liu, H., Lin, R., and Harper, D.P. 2017. Fabrication and characterization of Nylon 6/cellulose nanofibrils melt-spun nanocomposite filaments. Composites. Part A, Applied Science and Manufacturing, 97(June):111-119.
- Zhu, R., V. Yadama. 2016. Effects of hot water extraction (HWE) of Douglas fir as a pre-process for the sulfite pretreatment to overcome recalcitrance of lignocellulose (SPORL). Holzforschung, 71(2):91-98.
- Zhu, R. and V. Yadama. 2016. Effects of hot water extraction pretreatment on physicochemical changes of Douglas fir. Biomass and Bioenergy. DOI: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2016.03.028. 90:78-89.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, M.R., V. Yadama, M. Garcia-Perez, E. Lowell, R. Zhu, and K. Englund. 2016. Interrelationship between lignin-rich dichloromethane extracts of hot water-treated wood fibers and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) in wood plastic composite (WPC) production. Holzforschung. DOI: 10.1515/hf-2014-0309. 70(1):31–38.
- Voth, C., N. White, V. Yadama, and W. Cofer. 2015. Design and Evaluation of Thin-Walled Hollow-Core Wood-Strand Sandwich Panels. Journal of Renewable Materials, 3(3):234-243.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, M.R., V. Yadama, M. Garcia-Perez and E. Lowell. 2015. Abundance and characteristics of lignin liquid intermediates in wood (Pinus ponderosa Dougl. ex Laws.) during hot water extraction. Biomass and Bioenergy, 81:117-128.
- Qi, C., V. Yadama, K. Guo, and M.P. Wolcott. 2015. Preparation and properties of oriented sorghum-thermoplastic composites using flat hot-pressing technology. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. DOI: 10.1177/0731684415591066.
- Alam, M.A., V. Yadama, W.F. Cofer, K.R. Englund. 2013. Analysis and evaluation of a fruit bin for apples. Journal of Food Science and Technology (Published Online; DOI 10.1007/s13197-012-0889-3)
- Wang, Y., V. Yadama and D. Bhattacharyya. 2013. Profile forming of pre-pressed wood-strand preforms. Composites Part A, 46: 131-139.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, R., V. Yadama, E. Lowell, and R. Espinoza-Herrera. 2013. A review of wood thermal pretreatments to improve wood composite properties. Wood Science and Technology, 47(6):1285-1319.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, R., V. Yadama, M. Garcia-Perez, E. Lowell, and T. Amidon. 2014. Effect of hot water extraction on particleboard produced from hardwood and softwood. Holzforschung, 68(7):807-815.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, R., V. Yadama, M. Garcia-Perez, E. Lowell, and A. McDonald. 2014. Effect of temperature during wood torrefaction on the formation of lignin liquid intermediates. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 109(2014), 222-233.
- Qi, C., V. Yadama, K. Guo, and M.P. Wolcott. 2015. Thermal stability and degradation simulation of sweet sorghum during hot pressing process of composites. Industrial Crops and Products, 69:335-343.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, R., V. Yadama, M. Garcia-Perez, E. Lowell, R. Zhu, and K.R. Englund. 2015. Interrelationship between lignin-rich hot water extracts of wood fiber and thermoplastic resin. Holzforschung (DOI: 10.1515/hf-2014-0309).
- Yadama, V. and M.P. Wolcott. 2015. Application of fiber undulation model to predict oriented strand composite elastic properties. Journal of Renewable Materials. DOI: 10.7569/JRM.2015.634103. 3(3):216-223.
- Wang, Y., V. Yadama, M.P. Laborie and D. Bhattacharyya. 2010. Cure kinetics of PF/PVAc hybrid adhesive for manufacturing profiled wood-strand composites. Holzforschung. 64(5):603-608.
- Liu, X., Y. Wang, Y. Cao, V. Yadama, M. Xian and J. Zhang. 2011. Study of dextrin-derived curing agent for waterborne epoxy adhesive. Carbohydrate Polymers. 83(3):1180-1184.
- Chowdhury, S. and V. Yadama. 2011. Reactive maleic anhydride polyolefins (MAPOs) in oriented strand board. Part 2: Influence on physical and mechanical properties. Holzforschung, 65(1):89-96.
- Chowdhury, S., V. Yadama and M.P. Laborie. 2011. Reactive maleic anhydride polyolefins (MAPOs) in oriented strand board. Part 1. Dynamic themomechanical properties of phenol formaldehyde resins blended with two MAPOs. Holzforschung,65(1):81-87.
- Yadama, V., E.C. Lowell and C.E. Langum. 2012. Characterization of wood strands from young, small-diameter douglas-fir and western hemlock trees. Wood and Fiber Science. 44(1):36-45.
- Wang, Y., V. Yadama and D. Bhattacharyya. 2013. Forming characteristics of pre-pressed wood-strand preforms. Composites Part A, 46: 131-139.
- Qi, C., V. Yadama, K. Guo, and M.P. Wolcott. 2013. Thermal conductivity of sorghum and sorghum-thermoplastic composite panels. Industrial Crops and Products. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2013.01.011, 45:455-460.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, R., V. Yadama, E. Lowell, T. Amidon and T.L. Chaffee. 2012. Hot water extracted wood fiber for production of wood plastic composites (WPCs). Holzforschung (Published Online; DOI: 10.1515/hf-2-12-0071).
- Michael, S.G., V. Yadama and D.A. Bender. 2010. Effect of Tie-Layer on the Bond Strength Between Thermoplastic and Borate-Treated Wood Substrate. Wood and Fiber Science. 42(4):419-428.
- Barbuta, C., P. Blanchet, A. Cloutier, V. Yadama and E. Lowell. 2011. Tailor made OSB for special application. Holz Als Roh- Und Werkstoff, 69(4):511-519.
- Barbuta, C., P. Blanchet, A. Cloutier, V. Yadama and E. Lowell. 2012. OSB as substrate for Engineered Wood Flooring. Holz Als Roh-Und Werkstoff. 70(1-3):37-43.
- Panelized Wood Composite Assemblies for Sustainable Building Envelopes
- Development of high-performance lignocellulosic composites for building envelopes: Authentic learning about sustainable materials through research-based inductive approach
- Northwest Advanced Renewables Alliance (NARA): A new vista for green fuels, chemicals, and environmentally preferred products (EPPs)