Professor, School of Forest Resources, Pennsylvania State University
Phone: (814) 865-8841
- Forest products marketing – technology driven product/market development
- Customer delivered value
- Trade show use and effectiveness
- Ph.D., Forest Products Marketing, 1988 – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- M.S., Forest Products, 1985 – University of Idaho, Moscow, ID
- B.S., Forest Resource Management, 1979 – University of Montana, Missoula, MT
- 1999 – present, Professor, Forest Products Marketing, The Pennsylvania State University, School of Forest Resources, University Park, PA.
- 1995 – 1999, Associate Professor, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA.
- 1991 – 1995, Assistant Professor, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA.
- 1988 – 1991, Assistant Professor, Forest Products Marketing, Univ. of Washington, College of Forest Resources, Forest Products Division and the Center for International Trade in Forest Products (CINTRAFOR), Seattle, WA.
- 1985 – 1988, Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant, Department of Forest Products, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA.
- 1983 – 1985, Log Export Operations Manager, Idaho Overseas, Inc., Moscow, ID.
- 1982 – 1983, Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Forest Products, Univ. of Idaho, Moscow ID.
- 1978 – 1982, Forester, Champion Corp., Rocky Mountain Operation, Missoula, MT. Summer/Fall intern (1978); permanent (1979-1982).
- 1977, Inventory Forester, Braden Forestry Services, Inc., Deadwood, SD. Summer intern.
- Chen, M., and P.M. Smith 2017. The U.S. cellulosic biofuels industry: Expert views on commercialization drivers and barriers. Biomass and Bioenergy. DOI: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2017.05.002. 102:52-61
- Martinkus, N., S.A.M. Rijkhoff, S.A. Hoard, W.P. Shi, P. Smith, M. Gaffney and M. Wolcott. 2017. Biorefinery site selection using a stepwise biogeophysical and social analysis approach. Biomass and Bioenergy. DOI: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2016.12.022. 97:139-148.
- Smith, P.M., M.J. Gaffney, W. Shi, S. Hoard, I. Ibarrola Armendariz, and D.W. Mueller. 2017. Drivers and barriers to the adoption and diffusion of Sustainable Jet Fuel (SJF) in the U.S. Pacific Northwest. Journal of Air Transport Management. DOI: 10.1016/j.jairtraman.2016.10.004. 58:113-124.
- Chen, M., P.M. Smith, and M.P. Wolcott. 2016. U.S. biofuels industry: A critical review of opportunities and challenges. BioProducts Business. 1(4):42-59.
- Shi, W. and P.M. Smith. 2015. Effects of international trade show marketing strategies on trade show performance: does experience matter? Wood & Fiber Sci. 47(1):96-108.
- McGraw, D.F., P.M. Smith, and M. Chen. 2015. Content analysis of decking material business-to- business advertisements: 2002-2014. Wood & Fiber Sci. 47(1):84-95.
- Martinkus, N., W. Shi, N. Lovrich, J. Pierce, P. Smith, and M. Wolcott. 2014. Integrating Biogeophysical and Social Assets Into Biomass-to-Biofuels Supply Chain Siting Decisions. Biomass & Bioenergy 66:410-418.
- Shi, W. and P.M. Smith. 2012. Exploring Market Opportunities for American Hardwoods Through Chinese International Furniture Supply Trade Shows. Feature Article in Forest Prod. J. 62(2):80-89.
- Stank, J. and P.M. Smith. 2011. Branding in the North American Woodfiber Plastic Composite Industry. Forest Prod. J. 60(6):541-546.
- Ruffing, T.C., W. Shi, N.R. Brown and P.M. Smith. 2011. A Review of U.S. and International Formaldehyde Emissions Regulations for Interior Wood Composite Panels. Wood & Fiber Sci. 43(1):21-31.
- Ruffing, T.C., P.M. Smith and N.R. Brown. 2010. Resin Suppliers’ Perspectives on the “Greening” of the North American Interior Wood Composite Panel Market. Forest Prod. J. 60(2):119-125.