- Analytical and applied mechanics
- Characterization and mechanics of concrete materials
- Advanced polymer composite materials in civil infrastructure (infrastructure composites)
- Mechanics of composite materials and structures
- Fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) structural shapes
- Smart composites and structures
- Structural health monitoring
- Impact mechanics and high energy absorption materials
- Fracture of bonded interfaces (FRP-wood and FRP-concrete)
- Advanced and high performance materials for highway bridge applications
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, (Solid Mechanics, Structures, and Advanced Materials), 1997, West Virginia University
- M.S., Civil Engineering (Structures), 1993, Florida Atlantic University
- B.S., Naval Architecture (Structures), 1991, East China Shipbuilding Institute
- 2008 – present, Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University
- 2006 – 2008, Associate Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University
- 2002 – 2006, Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Akron
- 1992 – 2002, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Akron
- 1998 – 1999, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, West Virginia University
- 1997 – 1998, Lecturer and Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, West Virginia University
- Yang, H.S., P. Qiao, and M.P Wolcott. 2010. Fatigue characterization and reliability analysis of wood flour filled polypropylene composites. Polymer Composites. 31(4):553-560.
- Yang, H.S., P. Qiao, and M.P Wolcott. 2010. Flexural fatigue and reliability analysis of wood flour/high-density polyethylene composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 29(9):1295-1310.
- Qiao, P.Z. and M.S. Cao. 2008. Waveform Fractal Dimension for Mode Shape-based Damage Identification of Beam-type Structures. International Journal of Solids and Structures. 45(22-23):5946-5961. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2008.07.006.
- Davalos, J.F., P.Z. Qiao, V. Ramayanam, L.Y. Shan, and J. Robinson. 2009. Torsion of Honeycomb FPR Sandwich Beams with a Sinusoidal Core Configuration. Composite Structures. 88(1):97-111. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2008.02.005.