- Carbohydrate chemistry and biochemistry
- Wood materials chemistry and wood science
- Biopolymer and biomaterials science
- Natural products chemistry
- Ph.D., Philosophy in Chemistry, 1993 – York University, Toronto, Ontario
- M.S., Chemistry, 1986 – University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
- B.S., Chemistry and Applied Chemistry, 1983 – University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
- 2011 – present, Professor, Department of Forest, Rangeland and Fire Sciences, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID
- 2006 – 2011, Professor, Department of Forest Products, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID
- 2001 – 2006, Associate Professor, Department of Forest Products, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID
- 1998 – 2001, Project Leader, Material Discovery, New Zealand Forest Research Institute
- 1993 – 1998, Sr. Scientist in Wood Materials Chemistry, New Zealand Forest Research Institute
- 1985 – 1989, Scientist in Carbohydrate Chemistry, New Zealand Forest Research Institute
- Carter Holt Harvey-New Ventures Ideas to Business Entrepreneur Awards 2001: Business Case, October 2001.
- Interdisciplinary Science, April 1997, New Zealand Forest Research Institute
- Wei, L., N. Guho, E.R. Coats and A.G. McDonald. 2014. Characterization of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) biosynthesized by mixed microbial consortia fed fermented dairy manure. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. DOI: 10.1002/app.40333.
- Luo, G., B-A.F. Kengne, D.N. McIlroy and A.G. McDonald. 2014. A novel nano Fischer-Tropsch catalyst for the production of hydrocarbons. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy. DOI 10.1002/ep.11916.
- Pohjanlehto, H., H.M. Setälä, D.E. Kiely and A.G. McDonald. 2014. Lignin-xylaric acid-polyurethane based polymer network systems: preparation and characterization. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 131(1): DOI: 10.1002/app.39714.
- Wang, Z., B. Pecha, R. Westerhof, S. Kersten, C-Z. Li, A.G. McDonald and M. Garcia-Perez. 2014. Effect of cellulose crystallinity on solid/liquid phase reactions responsible for the formation of carbonaceous residues during slow pyrolysis. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 53(8): 2940–2955.
- Zhou, S., M. Garcia-Perez, B. Pecha, A.G. McDonald, S. Kersten and R. Westerhof. 2014. Effect of particle size on the composition of lignin derived oligomers obtained by fast pyrolysis of beech wood. Fuel. 125:15-19.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, R., V. Yadama, M. Garcia-Perez, E. Lowell, and A. McDonald. 2014. Effect of temperature during wood torrefaction on the formation of lignin liquid intermediates. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 109(2014), 222-233.
- Sahaf, A., M.P. Laborie, K.R. Englund, M. Garcia-Perez, and A.G. McDonald. 2013. Rheological properties and tunable thermoplasticity of phenolic rich fraction of pyrolysis bio-oil. Biomacromolecules 14(4):1132-1139.